Of course we wear makeup in Iso. I know I know, a lot of people don't, but to feel motivated enough to run a business, live through home schooling and try my damndest not to become an alcoholic, I feel like I need to be dressed and ready in the mornings or I may just sink into the couch. Have you gone without makeup the whole time? We'd be so interested to hear your stories in the comments below! Here's what we've been doing to save our skin and hair:
This is a time tested tradition steeped in Indian culture. And have you seen their hair? Healthy, strong, shiny. I mean, at the beginning of Iso I was just happy that it wasn't falling out from stress, but as the weeks went on and the stress lifted, we focused more on building shine from within and creating healthy hair to leave Iso with. Here's a story from Allure magazine on the benefits.
1. We use Recreation Bondi Beach Luxury Body + Hair serum oil because it is LUSH and has been specially formulated to treat dry skin and hair beautifully to create sleek locks (it's a dream just before blow-drying too), without being too heavy and upsetting your scalp's PH levels.
If you don't have a special blend, use a mix of whatever oils you love - coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil, almond oil etc.
2. Massage it through scalp and hair. Leave for a minimum of 20 minutes but if you're at home, might as well leave it in all day!
3. Wash out as normal with your regular shampoo, and condition as usual.
4. Blow dry for all the goodness of super-sleek, bouncy hair.
You know your skin best, so choose your products and treat yourself.
1. Cleanse - first with an oil cleanser that you should massage into skin for a good minute. Rinse, and then cleanse with your usual cleanser. Don't have an oil cleanser? Use jojoba oil, works a treat. Though make sure you don't put too much around your eyes cause it can gunk up in lashes.
2. Steam - Fill a bowl with boiling water plus some cold water so it's not too hot. Add your favourite essential oils, and sit over the bowl for 10 minutes.
3. Exfoliate - Don't just scrub and go. Scrub slowly, inch by inch, section by section over your face. Gently. Remember this is your skin not a piece of wood you are trying to sand down.
4. Mask - Any mask of your choosing, according to your skin type. You can also use different masks on different areas of your face (eg, a clay mask on your nose and forehead and a nourishing mask on cheeks) to make it really feel like a facial. Pop cold cucumber slices on your eyes and actually lie down. For once.
5. Oil - Once you've rinsed your mask off, finish with a nourishing oil to infuse nutrients and moisture straight into skin while it's at its most receptive. If you like, you can also add a moisturiser and eye cream on top. We use Recreation's Vibrant Skin Face Oil which is a serum, moisturiser and eye treatment in one.
At home makeup
Just a sprinkling of coverage and a few select items to make you feel like you are a part of a functioning, civilised world (ahem ...)
So yes, we makeup, but ditch the extras like eyeliner and eyeshadow. Still everyone's different. You do you!
1. A light foundation or CC cream to even out skin tone. Dot on blotchy bits and blend out from there, only using as much as you need.
2. Concealer. Because I look about 5 years older without it.
3. Bronzer or blush, whichever you are partial to. I think both is too much for an at home look so I will either go for a soft, rosy cheek OR a sweep of bronzer. Not both.
4. Light mascara. This is optional. I'm currently using the Eye of Horus Goddess mascara which is a tube mascara and is just light enough for home use, otherwise I'll go without. I think if you have a good base with a nice cheek you can forgo mascara.
5. Lipbalm. Cause it's winter and you don't want to get caught out with cracked lips.
6. Obviously we always but always finish with a spritz of fragrance. Right now I'm loving SUN-KISSED because it's a pure dose of sunshine I can carry around on my skin all day and it instantly lifts my spirits.
Picked up any good habits while we've been at home? Bad habits? We want all the gory details! Tell us in the comments or on social xxx