Most fragrances are made with a whole host of harmful chemicals. So unless it clearly says "natural" or "clean" on the label, you can bet your perfume contains endocrine disrupting chemicals. Even the ones that look natural, are NOT. Unless it says on the label.
The problem is the perfume industry is self regulated. So the same people trying to sell you the perfume, are making up the rules about what can go in it. And the fact of the matter is, harmful chemicals are cheap and easy to use in perfumery.
There are over 3000 chemicals that can be classified as "parfum" on the label. The reason perfumes are able to get away with what's inside is because fragrance formulas are considered to be proprietary information. That is, they belong to the company who created them and they don't have to disclose what's in them.
At Recreation, we have full disclosure with ingredients listed on our website.
- Our perfumes contain plant based extracts, resins, absolutes and nature identicals. We will always tell you what's inside so you can make your own mind up.
- None of our ingredients contain harmful endocrine disrupting chemicals. The ones that mess with your hormones and can do anything from give you mood swings and put on weight to serious reproductive issues and foetus development issues.
- None of our ingredients are "persistent" (meaning they hang around even on your bathroom tiles after you've showered and go into the environment).
- None of our ingredients are bioaccumulative, meaning they won't build up in the body, they get flushed out.
- All of our ingredients are safe and "clean" meaning they score a low number on the EWG ingredient listing website.
Going clean with beauty is hard, but we think it's worth it. Your whole health outlook is about to look a whole lot brighter, with Recreation.